Friday, October 22, 2010

Thumbs up

Saw another Bollywood feature last night starring everyone's favourite polydactylic hero, Hrithik Roshan. More superhero skills and last-moment intervention, more dancing, but no Canadian backlots this time. The movie was preceded by Himself answering questions for a couple of hours, and (of course) one of the questioners wanted to know why it was that whenever she did the Camel pose, she had an orgasm. This (the Camelgasm) is one of the story wisps that float through the lecture tents and posture clinics. Apparently some women's lumbar nerves really, really like being compressed and pass it on down the line. It gives the Bikram quote "with your happy, smiling face" a new meaning, I guess.
 
Yesterday morning's class was helmed by Ulysses, a Mexican studio owner, who cheerfully delivered the dialogue in equal parts English and Spanish. I would have loved to hear the whole class in Spanish, although to be honest I only caught a word here and there, but! I love love LOVE to hear that Spanish.
 
Afternoon posture clinic saw a lot of people in my study group realizing, uh-oh, we're going to have to present Tree Pose and Toe Stand today, aren't we? Luckily a few of our stars got up and showed the way, including Jana, Chrissy and Bettina (three of the Fabulous Five). Another brilliant moment came when Brian (from the other study group we worked with) delivered his dialogue in Soprano-like tones and cadence. I had to cover my mouth to keep from honking with laughter.
 
Me? I treed and toed with F*ck-I'm-Tired carelessness, and goofed around a little too much even for me, so much so that I apologized to the evaluators afterwards. If I'm not careful, I'll be the Fozzie Bear of yoginis. In other words, just about the last thing a busy studio needs.
 
I think I'm going to have to call Week Five "Crabby Batface Week," since I was not the happy, sunny old yoga student. Short on sleep and patience, that's been me. Still! I did order a typewriter key bracelet with the initials of the Buddhist threefer on it ("Kind? True? Necessary?), so I hope this reminder will make Week 6 and all the rest of the weeks I've got in life that much smoother.

1 comment:

  1. When I started practicing Bikram, I was in Montreal, and the teachers consistently delivered one set in English and the other in French. Even though, sadly, I don't speak a word of French, I loved hearing the words, and enjoyed the subtle differences in intonation, stress and prosody between the two languages.
    Mind you, nowadays I hear the dialogue in Hebrew, and am always entertained by slight variations or a certain choice of translation.

    Still loving your blog! Enjoy week 6!

    ReplyDelete